Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you reading right now?
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #4043 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above View Post
Yeah, he even said "I'm the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and fries."
I think that's a little too low for him, I think of him as more a burger you would get at a regional chain restaurant like Red Robin, Milestones, Bennigan's, and whatever they have on the East Coast and in the South. Imagine yourself going out for lunch, you could go to McDonalds or you could go out to a nice restaurant, one option seems infinitely better than the other one, but you don't know if you want to spend the money and really, it's only lunch, not like some special occasion. Then you get the idea to go to a restaurant you've eaten at a hundred times and know what you want to order, you know it's going to be prepared for you the same way, you know exactly what you're getting. It's better than just going to McDonalds and far cheaper than going to some steak house, it has a consistent reputation and you know you will be full once you've finished eating it.

Basically take that little scenario and swap out "lunch" with "bookstore", "McDonalds" with Dean Koontz, Red Robin/Milestones/Bennigan's etc. with "Stephen King", and "steak house" with... I dunno H.P. Lovecraft or something. The metaphor really works, you sit down and read a Stephen King book you know immediately what you're going to get (unless it is your first time). It fills you up with maybe not the most nutritious of meals, but your head is full of works, thoughts, expressions, etc. just like a Red Robin hamburger but with lettuce, beef, cheese, and shit.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote