Music Banter - View Single Post - Art Punk
Thread: Art Punk
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #31 (permalink)
TockTockTock
They/Them

Honestly, I feel that this is one of those instances where people are just splitting hairs with genre-labeling.

For example, you just said that art rock is a sub-genre of rock that incorporates avant-garde influences into its music, but it doesn't get too experimental. Don't you think that's a bit much? I mean, if you're going to go by that definition, then art rock simply falls onto the poppier side of experimental rock... The same can be said about art punk... except it's on the more experimental side of post-punk. It all seems too specific to me and kind of redundant.

Here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Art punk or avant punk refers to post-punk music of an experimental bent, or with connections to art school, the art world, or the avant garde.

Post-punk is a rock music movement with its roots in the late 1970s, following on the heels of the initial punk rock explosion of the mid-1970s. The genre retains its roots in the punk movement but is more introverted, complex and experimental
After just having defined them both (through Wikipedia), do you sort of see what I'm getting at? They're both incredibly similar, and the distinctions between the two are rather minute.

Last edited by TockTockTock; 04-25-2012 at 10:49 AM.
TockTockTock is offline   Reply With Quote