Music Banter - View Single Post - Tony Iommi or Jimmy Page?
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #171 (permalink)
blastingas10
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I agree with the first part of what you've said but completely disagree with the second part. Led Zeppelin basically did blues rock and hard rock better than anybody else song for song and they perfected the bluesy hard rock sound that had been prominent in the 1960s. Sure they diversified with folk leanings etc but inventive is not a word I'd use for them. Black Sabbath on the other hand were far more inventive and basically not only created heavy metal, but laid down the groundwork for the future extreme metal genres of thrash and doom loooong before they were thought of.

Also realised I hadn't voted, so gave it to Page.
That's a good way to put it. They weren't the most original band but they took pieces from other artists and completely blew the original away, so they still deserve credit for that. There were far more original and innovative bands like The Velvet Underground and Hendrix and Pink Floyd but zepp were up there with the best of them when it came to crafting a song, even though that song wasn't very original most of the time.

I've never really been a fan of Plant but once I heard that he called Sabbath "irrelevant", I really lost all respect for him. Page, Bonham and Jones were really great musicians, though. Page was a master.

All this being said and I'm still not a huge fan and don't listen to them much, but I cant really deny the greatness even if I think they're a little overrated.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote