Music Banter - View Single Post - Sleep Music
Thread: Sleep Music
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 03:10 AM   #26 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

I started putting music on to go to sleep on a night, or during the day for a nap, turning the lights out, lying down and closing my eyes, first when I had insomnia and was sleeping, roughly, on average of 2 to 3 hours a night.

I still sometimes put it on to go to sleep, and frequently do this during the day when I have nowhere to be. I have looked into a lot of music that I can use for this over the years. I can fall asleep to pretty much anything, even doom and black metal can have enough of a drone or a solid wall of noise that can be relaxing regardless of the volume or intensity. However i tend to prefer something minimal, something gentle, something peaceful that can almost put you into a trance - whether I'm looking to sleep, nap, or just to reflect.

I would say that two albums stand head and shoulders above the rest. I use these two to relax and sleep more than I do anything else.

Low - I Could Live in Hope
Simply one of the most beautiful albums I have ever heard. Incredible vocal harmonies, two voices that really are perfectly balanced by one another, gentle instrumentation and in my opinion, the best album to send you to sleep - in a good way.

Carissas Wierd - Songs About Leaving
Another slowcore staple and the bands swansong, full of emotion, sadness and an overall peacefulness that helped temporarily aid my insomnia. Definitely worth a listen.

there's banging on the wall
it's 5 am i've no sleep at all
just thoughts of how i might
struggle through tomorow
too much time in one day
too much time to occupy
with boring thoughts
boring moods
boring bedtimes
won't tell a single soul
that my soul's gone
it's hard to write this song