Music Banter - View Single Post - bass effects
Thread: bass effects
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney 2012 View Post
On a related note, does anybody really like to play with heavy FX on their bass? Every time I've tried to incorporate them I end up just messing with my basic lows mids and highs to achieve the sound I want. I don't know, I guess I feel like it takes the..."grooviness".. Out of the instrument.
Yeah, I've known a few people who would tweak the sound significantly and done so as well. The most basic purpose is to emulate a keyboard / synth tone.

Generally speaking you're right though, it does take away from the grooviness but at the same time depending on the style you're trying to perform you might want a more particular thump as opposed to a groove. Like if you're trying to do a live performance of jungle / rave style music - or a Squarepusher cover.

Or, there's also the TOOL method of playing bass which revolves around running a wet/dry setup through a pair of amps so that you never lose the grooviness of the natural bass tone but then have an equal layer of manipulated and modified tones colouring the overall scope of the instrument's role within the ensemble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney 2012 View Post
I will say that one effect I absolutely love on a bass guitar is tremolo. Pluck a few long notes with that and you've got a pretty cool, almost eerie vibe going.
Add in a bunch of fuzz, a teeny tiny bit of flanger, and you've got THE 'dubstep' sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote