Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Computer Tech Support Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #1152 (permalink)
Stephen
I sleep in your hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
Download/install/run Malware bytes on the machine in regular and safe mode, deleting anything it finds, then download/install/run/do a full startup scan with Avast Antivirus in both regular and safe mode. Delete anything it quarantines.
In both scenarios, let the programs update themselves while connected to the internet, and before running the scans, disable the internet connection.

Both programs are free.
If either/both of them don't solve the problem, get a look at one of the fake antivirus virus popups if possible and google it, as they usually have specific fixer programs for some of the more entrenched viruses like that.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend randomly deleting stuff from the registry unless you are 100 percent certain that the keys you're deleting are not detrimental to the operating system. If you get the virus defeated with the above methods and want to clean the registry, download Ccleaner (free) and run the registry cleaner on it, which will get rid of any issues and keys that don't have any function.
Thanks for the tips. I did manage to disinfect my friends laptop but I will look into these. He is running Microsoft Security Essentials but it seems to have a pretty big performance hit and it did allow him to install this virus so I'm not sure it's the best option for him. I don't know that anything will actually stop a virus once you choose to install it though.

I might give these a try on another friend's computer. He has a persistent memory stick virus that has been pretty tough to remove. It auto-installs on any stick plugged into the computer and adds an auto-run to the stick so it infects any other computer it's plugged into.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote