Music Banter - View Single Post - Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire) The Fantasy Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #56 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCA View Post
So I finally cracked this thread open now that I've finished the fifth book and don't have to worry about spoilers. Interesting stuff, especially the theory behind Jon Snow that the Monkey brought up. What complicates this theory, however, is how Jon
Spoiler for spoiler for all books:
gets stabbed at least four times at the end of Dance with Dragons. I find it hard to believe he will survive, given Martin's penchant for bathing in a pool of his readers' tears. However, I would not be surprised if Snow did survive the attack because Martin has also really blurred the line between life and death in the fourth and fifth books, what with The Hound's ambiguous state of life, Lady Catelyn's resurrection, Brienne's resurrection(?), etc. It's almost as if he's afraid to permanently off anyone any more.

All in all, I think what I like about the series is how real all of the characters are. I love the fact that each book presents a first person narrative from a dozen+ sources, each with a different perspective on the events of the series. As has already been mentioned in this thread, you get to see characters like Jaime and Arya evolve, and it makes it hard to really like or dislike any one character for a certain reason because they all have faults, transgressions, strengths, and weaknesses. (Aside from the Boltons and the Freys... fecking ****s) I feel that Martin does an excellent job of prying open the inner workings of each character he creates.

Also, I must say that Sansa and Theon have really become Martin's punching bags and I feel really awful for what is happening to both of them. I don't feel that either of them deserve their fate as it stands at the end of aDwD, especially not Theon.
Seeing as how you're the only other member on here (I think) who has read all five books I'm going to put everything in spoiler tags.

Spoiler for spoilers:
I don't think Jon is dead, there are two popular theories right now. One says that he "warged" out of his body and into Ghost just before he was stabbed so while his physical body may be destroyed he will jump back into somebody else. The other theory is that it actually wasn't Jon that was stabbed, but one of the prisoners he took made up to look like him like what Melisandre did with Rattleshirt and Mance Rayder. Personally I'm hoping for the second one because it will be much easier to prove that he's actually the bastard of Rheagar Targaryian and Lyanna Stark.

As to some of the other characters, I think the Hound is still alive, having shed that part of his personality after his brush with death. He has unfinished business to settle with his brother, now under the guise of "Ser Robert Strong" or so say the rumors. As to Brienne's death, I don't think she died, what I think she did was say she would give up Jaime Lannister to Lady Stoneheart who is keeping Podrick Payne as collateral. I think the events of the Red Wedding really upset a lot of readers and it made Martin a little bit more hesitant to kill off major characters all willy nilly. While it was one of the major aspects that made his books stand out amongst other fantasy series' it also made them incredibly hard to read when characters you've grown fond of bite the dust.

I also have to agree with you about Sansa and Theon, while I've never particularly fond of either character, the punishment bestowed upon both is really unfair to them. You think at the end of A Storm of Swords that Sansa finally leaving King's Landing and going to the Eyrie would be the start of something a bit more positive for her character, but then almost being killed by Lysa and then having to endure this psychological torment from Littlefinger is just sad. Both the physical and psychological torment Theon has experienced by the hands of Ramsay Bolton is also quite horrific, almost to the point where I had to stop reading his chapters.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote