Music Banter - View Single Post - I don't like Music.
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #31 (permalink)
Stephen
I sleep in your hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam You Have AIDS View Post
There's really no polite way to ask this, but I've read that people who suffer from asperger's or other forms of autism don't appreciate music emotionally. They admire its technical components and may find it structurally beautiful, but are unable to build an emotional connection with a piece because they do not empathize as most people do.
I think saying people with aspergers/autism don't empathize as most people do is maybe a little simplistic. Well it is complicated by the fact that there is a wide range of behaviours that come under the 'spectrum' so what may be true for one doesn't apply to others. I think an important distinction is they do not empathize "as most people do". What I mean is that they are certainly capable of feeling empathy for others but they may struggle to make sense of these feelings and respond in a meaningful way. While it is often safer to approach a situation intellectually this doesn't mean that they aren't affected by other peoples suffering. I think music can actually be a safe way for someone with aspergers to explore emotion as there is no pressure to respond.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote