Music Banter - View Single Post - Tony Iommi or Jimmy Page?
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #175 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I actually have a friend who is a lot older than me and a rock fanatic as well, he grew up in the early 1970s and constantly goes on about the impact that all types of bands had on the music scene at that time, he constantly says the impact that Led Zeppelin had was unbelievable and basically they blew the competition out of the water (he basically lived the moment as it happened) The combination of the songs and live performances are what did it.
Sounds like he has bunch of cool stories tell, any about M&Ms or a Bengal tiger? j/k

Quote:
Over the years I must have listened to what seems like hundreds of heavy albums from the 1970s and Led Zeppelin were probably the best all round band out of a very very good bunch (Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult, UFO, Nazareth, Thin Lizzy, Scorpions, Budgie, Humble Pie, Free, Grand Funk Railroad, Trapeze, Uriah Heep and Stray to name just some)
I haven't really don't know much of those bands. Maybe I shouldn't bring them up ( it might seem like a apples and oranges comparison - I guess it's all how it categorised into sub-genres like Hard Rock, Blues Rock, or jam bands) but my favourite bands from the 60's/70's period are Rolling Stones, the Allman Brothers Band, and Traffic, as far as musicianship and creativity I think they were just as strong as Led Zeppelin.

Led Zeppelin where great when they played fast and hard but when it comes to jamming (at a slow tempo) Jimmy was at times just meh... when I watch The Song Remains the Same there are parts where I have to take a nap. That is one thing about Tony Iommi his playing seems more natural and fluid but I still give props to Jimmy for pushing the envelope and trying to execute his ideas beyond his playing capability.

Quote:
....and who cares if Led Zeppelin ripped off some other bands and artists, as you say a lot of the people they ripped off were nowhere near as good as Led Zeppelin anyway.
Still it isn't right, even if Led Zeppelin were better.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote