Music Banter - View Single Post - What's the sound in my headphones today?
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #208 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Melody Gardot

I went to see the Jazz vocalist Melody Gardot yesterday for a number of reasons: She is a big player on the Jazz scene and for her to play locally was an opportunity not to be missed (a 25 min walk to the gig), she literally has the voice of an angel, I have never attended a Jazz concert and I wanted to experience music on a much more intimate level than I usually do.

She certainly didn't disappoint me. The band were sublime, she was vocally superb and utterly charismatic (at one point she asked if there was a young man around who wanted to come on the stage and she said he could come any way he wanted - saucy!). She is as mad as a box of frogs and the music was deliciously progressive touching on Trad. Jazz, Latin, Salsa, Blues and singer/songwriter tradition.

Melody is partially disabled due to a car accident when she was 19 and whilst this would hamper many people, she made no mention of it or used it as a gimmick for her music and when she played the song 'Baby, I'm A Fool' sat down with a guitar and light percussion she meant every damn word and it sent a shiver down my spine.

I just want to thank her for a fantastic night that made me feel truly alive for the first time in a few months and for making me look at life in the most positive aspect I have done for ages especially over the last month or so when I have been questioning life; everyone, everything and my place in it.

Bitch didn't play Love Me Like A River Does but I will forgive you for this:

The show was recorded and is available from Monday on the BBC website BTW.
BBC - BBC Radio 2 Programmes - Melody Gardot at the Cheltenham Jazz Festival

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote