Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart's Room 101 (Music Version) is open for business!
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Okay, I can see your point, however I haven't really encountered this attitude, so perhaps you may need to expand on it so that I understand fully.

Are you talking about the trend started by MTV with their "Unplugged" series, or is it only musicians who do acoustic and nothing else? I always found that an artiste playing acoustically shows they don't rely heavily on tech and effects to make their music, and that certainly does make it more, as you say, honest, and real.

So is it artistes who only play acoustic, and thus get lauded by their fans, or have my fingers lost their tentative grip on the ledge of understanding and have I gone hurtling into the chasm of confusion here?

Sorry if I seem to be obtuse, but I really don't get the concept you're describing. Maybe some examples?
The best way I can describe what I'm talking about is with the sentence I've bolded. That's basically the idea that I'm referring to, this notion that music is somehow more "real" or more emotional if it is subdued and acoustic. It's a bizarre sonic prejudice many people seem to have, but there really is no basis for it.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote