Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #1217 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Let's have a look at some more advertisements, some old, some not so old, all of which are worth sitting through those damned ad breaks for. Ads like this are the only reason I sort of regret in a way that we can all skim through the breaks these days; when you had to WAIT for the ads to finish before you could get back to your show, you often experienced ads that you would never otherwise have seen, and that in many ways turned out to become classics. Of course, then there's always the likes of “Injury Lawyers 4U”, which is always a good reason to hit that “fast forward” button...

There was a whole series of these ads back in the seventies, or maybe eighties. Basically, the fox was annoyed that there was a polar bear on the mint: he was a fox, after all, and the mints were made by Fox's, so why should there be a bear on there instead of him? Why indeed? In classic “Roadrunner” style, he was forever trying to get the bear off the mint, and like Wile E. Coyote, always failing.

Tetley's did a great series of adverts too. This one is to the great music of Bill Withers.

Everyone in Ireland loved this ad! One of the great, great Carlsberg “what if?” ads, which envisages Ireland winning the World Cup. As if.. Of course, it went out at the time we were in the tournament.

This was a really clever ad for Sony, with some great animation.

I don't think this was ever broadcast (think it was banned) but hey, it's Kylie in sexy lingerie. What more do you need to know?

And I absolutely love this “Postman Pat” ad for Specsavers!

Who can forget this incredibly clever and artistic ad for British Airways?

The Alliance and Leicester ads with Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie were great, too!

The Fairy Liquid ads were sickening, yes, but the one I wanted was the one where the kid is waiting for the Fairy Liquid bottle to be empty, so he can make a rocket, but every time he comes in and asks the mother says not yet. Damn spoilsports on YouTube hadn't got it, so here's one with a very cute and not really annoying little girl, and a pretty sexy yummy mummy, as the kids apparently say these days...

And finally, proof that sometimes, even having a mega-celebrity with tons of cool like Steve McQueen advertise your product doesn't necessarily guarantee sales. Who has ever since heard of the Ford Puma? Anyone own one?

Last edited by Trollheart; 08-21-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote