Music Banter - View Single Post - Last album you bought, downloaded or listened to
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #17341 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

There seems to have been a large amount of technical/progressive death metal albums released this year, so I'm catching up and waiting for the grandaddy of them all, Nile's new album to drop next month.

Outcast - Awaken the Reason (2012)

Good music, poor vocals, which is sadly the case for a lot of the tech/progressive death metal albums I've listened to so far. The band is from France so there's definitely a Gojira influence in the sound, but unfortunately there just isn't enough here to make me really want to come back, which is a shame because the music is above average.

Psycroptic - The Inherited Repression (2012)

Sadly this band falls into the same category as Outcast, good music, poor vocalist. This guy just isn't up to the task of doing death metal vocals and instead settles for somewhere around the 'core region, which sounds okay on the more melodic groove songs, but for their more death metal focused songs it just sounds out of place. The music is decent though, if not very inventive.

Gorod - A Perfect Absolution (2012)

Out of the three this is the one that I'll most likely end up keeping. It does suffer a little from repetition but there were some well done clean sections that I wasn't expecting and the vocalist is actually up to the task. While it doesn't come within spunking distance of Spawn of Possession's new album, it's the least deformed.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote