Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beastie Boys
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #117 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankycaaant View Post
Whilst the guys death is a tragedy, I do not and have never understood the hype surrounding The Beastie Boys.
Some white guys shouting lines with a rhyming word at the end of each at a microphone.
There is no substance to their words, no skills in their rhyming pattern, how many people would consider any of these guys candidates for greatest MC of all time?

This isn't good hip-hop, call it influential and ground breaking if you want, but I can't help but feel as if the genre was filled with artists like The Beastie Boys, I'd have never gotten into hip-hop.

I guess I'm missing what is so blatantly amazing about them.
Maybe you had to be there, but Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head and Ill Communication featured a style (or styles) of hip hop that was very unique for it's time. I think the fact that you seem to hone in on whether they were good MCs or not is kind of an indicator of why they don't click with you. It's not really the rapping that people like about them, it's the music. They were all instrumentalists in addition to being rappers, and from the late 80s through to at least the mid-90s no one was making hip hop that sounded like them, with their unusual "70s cheese meets punk rock" aesthetic.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote