Music Banter - View Single Post - Anyone here ever seen a ghost? Or something strange like that?
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #38 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorOldPo View Post
Thats actually pretty cool.

I'll put it this way, I am willing to accept that we can not explain everything about how things work, what goes on in this world and outside of this world. We never will. I think the word " ghost " is a word that makes the proposed topic sound a little childish. I think the " supernatural " is something that we just don't know about necessarily, something outside the realms of our understanding. All I know is, the stuff I saw with my sister was real... We were not hallucinating.
I'm assuming you put quotations around "supernatural" for the same reason I would. My problem with a lot of people is that they tend to believe that unexplained occurrences are "supernatural" by default. It's basically fabricating a basis for belief out of the lack of a rational explanation. I think the Ancient Aliens meme sums up the fallacy best: "I don't know, therefore aliens." It could easily say the same thing with; "I don't know, therefore ghosts", or "I don't know, therefore supernatural".

Another issue I see is that people have a tendency to label something as unexplained (or not able to be explained) when they have not exhausted all possible options, and probably are not in a position to do so effectively. And, of course, the last option a reasonable person wants to consider is that their own minds and emotions are playing tricks on them. I'm not saying that's the case for you and your family, but I would bet my life that it's the case for a majority of the supernatural-supporting community.

I would wager that if everyone who has experienced something they could not explain had their own personal scientists, neuro scientists, psychologists, and camera crew to help them come to a decision regarding matters such as these, a very large majority of those people would find a lot more reasonable explanations than they would have come to on their own.
But since that's not a reality for most people, they are left to their own analysis, and unfortunately, most people find that to be the most credible of all for some reason.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote