Music Banter - View Single Post - My guitar dilemma.
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 12:36 AM   #44 (permalink)
VoiceX
Groupie

I have a few idea`s for you...

A) The more you worry about the way you sound each time, the less focused you become. As you said before, your no Hendrix and you got your whole life ahead of you to come up with as many idea`s as he has. Believe it or not, time is the ultimate freedom when it comes to creativity. Don't worry so much, and take your time in enjoying what you do (that`s the whole point, isn't it?). Think about it this way: the more mistakes you make, the more you are likely to improve. And believe it or not, I honestly believe that some of the best songs stated out as a "mistake". Think about it. Besides. Your not in a position where you need to worry about contests, live gigs, or anything of that sort - you can do whatever you want on your own time table - use that.

B) When it comes to creativity (or lack of it), one of the best things to do is to either listen to musicians that inspire you, maybe even check out some soundtracks and genres you may not normally listen too (for idea`s), or simply say the hell with it all and "wing it". So, again, don't think so much - just do.

C) On a different note altogether: perhaps you should try getting into recording yourself - regardless of your level of playing, having that kind of freedom at your at your finger tips will most likely trigger a creative response. Think about it. Aside from it giving you the ability to further inspect your playing, it will also give you the opportunity to share your work with other people. And believe me when I tell you this - nothing gives more inspiration (and motivation) than feedback. Not to mention that is will take playing with drum loops into a whole new level.

D) Don't limit yourself to one instrument. I say, the more, the merrier!