Music Banter - View Single Post - I don't like Music.
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 06:37 AM   #38 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Without wanting to sound arrogant or uncaring, I do find it hard to believe there are people who do not appreciate music on any level. From our very earliest days we are subject to the lullabies our mother sings us, and we grow to become emotionally attached to that sound, its lulling, comfortable feeling of safety. As we grow up we often use music in very simplistic forms (dancing, shouting --- I say shouting, as most one or two year olds don't sing --- along to the radio, and so on) to communicate and to build our understanding of who we are.

As we get more rounded as humans, then, music is already part of our lives, an integral part. Whether it's hymns at mass (when we're young and can't decide not to go!) or humming tunes or even just whistling, we're so exposed to music at virtually every moment of every day that it's hard to ignore it, hard not to have it have an effect on us.

I personally cannot live without music, and that's no idle claim. If I'm out (very rarely these days) and have no music with me I'll usually hum (either in my head or out loud but low) some tunes I know, and if I go into a shop and music is playing I usually end up humming it as I go out. Music affects just about everything I do. If an onerous task is to be performed, I lighten it by having or making music. I can't play anything --- REALLY bad on the keyboards! --- nor can I sing, but I make music anyway, not for anyone else to hear but just for my own enjoyment.

I feel music is part of who I am and the person I have grown to be. Without it I would not be whole. As you claim to hate listening to/learning lyrics, I would say stick with the instrumental music (as that also closely ties in with your love of/tolerance of film themes) and would suggest Vangelis, Gandalf and perhaps Rondo Veneziano, as well as obviously classical music. For your persual, an example of each of the three below.

I fervently hope you do find some room in your life for music, because I certainly would not be complete without it, and living without it as you are I think you're missing one of the great human experiences that we all share.

Good luck in your search!
Trollheart