Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #11635 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Last night I decided to reconfigure many of my cbz comic files into PDF's so I could more easily read them on my iPad. It's not a particularly hard task, but it is monotonous and time consuming. To help dull the boredom I decided to put on a movie or two as background noise and something to distract me as the JPEGS are compiling into one PDF file. I decided on watching '80's comedy movies that had slipped me by for many years and settled on these two.

Weird Science (1985)

Apparently not the most popular John Hughes movie but I have to say I liked this far more than The Breakfast Club or Sixteen Candles (1984) and it's about on par with Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986). The best modern day equivalent I can think of would probably be Superbad (2007) but far imagine it far more surreal. The two leads had a good chemistry together and even the douchebag bullies had some charisma that made them hard to dislike. This may be because they're really the only bullies from an '80's high school movie that aren't psychopaths and it's always fun to see Robert Downey Jr. in a really young role. Best of all though, they included a song by Killing Joke in the film, and that's apparently the quickest way to my heart. I have a feeling I'm in the minority on this film but I enjoyed it.

Revenge of the Nerds (1984)

I started off really liking this film but towards the end I kept on trying to figure out how they all weren't in jail. I guess sexual harassment laws were a lot more lenient then, but rape is still rape.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote