Music Banter - View Single Post - Led Zeppelin Worst Album....
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

I can understand all of the low-ranking of In Through the Out Door, but that's not my choice.

The one thing is that Robert losing his son at least sparked "All My Love" which in the end became one of their more popular songs - It's one that has it's fans that could relate to, and better that with a song with true personal feelings than a lesser band's empty Hallmark card Power Ballad. To me, "In the Evening" is a fine song along with "I'm Gonna Crawl," but I also will pick something out of left field with the John Paul Jones spectacle "Carouselambra." The only thing I really did not like about it was the over-indulgent cover(s), and they usually have great epic covers. It may have been a lesser and compatibly tamer album, but it was not all that bad either in my opinion. It's tough to top 4 (or Zoso or Untitled) or Physical Graffiti, but at least ITTOD has songs that still stand out.

Not counting Coda (odds and ends compilations are hardly counted when released after the bend's existence), I would possibly say The Song Remains the Same. It was a case of having to see the film to really get the full effect. Lots of jamming around that sounds fine on vinyl/CD that works better in visual context. Pure indulgence that was their only real case of having more fans long after the fact through a classic DVD package in my opinion.

Last edited by Screen13; 05-11-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote