Music Banter - View Single Post - Favorite Progressive Rock Band :)
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
NEWGUY562
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Mind if I ask what age you are? Whether you're into or know of prog rock you MUST have heard of Genesis, at least in passing! There are lots of bands whose music I'm not into, but even as a confirmed not-liker (I won't say hater, as there's little I truly hate) of jazz, I still know OF the greats, the same with punk or ska or whatever. Just cos you're not into a genre doesn't mean it can't pass you by and have a near-miss, scraping off some paint as it goes by.

But if you're serious, and you enjoyed early Genesis, then you need to check out Marillion's first four albums, as well as their lead singer Fish's solo stuff. Try also Rush, Pendragon and Porcupine Tree, Spock's Beard and Gazpacho, not forgetting Peter Gabriel's solo work (early at any rate) and if you can get hold of a band called Twelfth Night's "Fact and fiction" I'd say you'd enjoy that.

As a quick list then, these, not necessarily in any order:
MARILLION
Script for a jester's tear
Fugazi
Misplaced childhood
Clutching at straws

FISH
Vigil in a wilderness of mirrors
Internal exile
Sunsets on empire
Raingods with zippos

RUSH
Caress of steel
A farewell to kings
Hemispheres

PENDRAGON
The world
The window of life
The masquerade overture
Believe
Pure
Kowtow
Passion

GAZPACHO
Missa Atropos
March of ghosts

PETER GABRIEL
First four albums, all called Peter Gabriel (1977/78/80/82)
So
Us

SPOCK'S BEARD
V
The kindness of strangers
Day for night
X
Octane

PORCUPINE TREE
Fear of a blank planet
In absentia
Coma divine
Stars die
The incident
The sky moves sideways
and many more

STEVEN WILSON (Porcupine Tree)
Grace for drowning

TWELFTH NIGHT
Fact and fiction

Loads more, but that will give you some sort of grounding in some of the best prog rock out there. Anyone else, feel free to add or comment.
Let's just put it like this i was born in the 90's :[
I never heard of them, one day I was watching vh1 greatest artist of all time and i seem a few people talk about Genesis and I loved the song they were playing (land of confusion) and the performance they showed (Peter Gabriel dressed up as a flower). So I checked out their music and was completely blown away(their 70's stuff was the best imo)...I've been into everything they did since so i had 2 get everything that I could by them.
Ok I'm going to check out the albums you just listed
let's start this off with Marillion
NEWGUY562 is offline   Reply With Quote