Music Banter - View Single Post - Prog Music v. Jam Music
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Did you read the OP? This isn't a battle, just a conversation about the two styles' relationship to each other.

Anyway, on the topic: I think, while there is a lot of overlap, they're not the same thing. The big differentiator comes from the very core of these two styles I think, in that prog tends to lean in the direction of being very meticulous plotted music while jam music is, by it's very nature, improvisational. Is basically like the difference between classical music and jazz, which is kind of fitting since prog tends to be more classically influences while jam is more jazz influenced.
if you're created a chart of relationships, how would these 4 genres and metal all connect? I've heard a few people comment here on how Metal is a sort of nexus of Classical and Jazz.

I was listening to Wings for Marie pt. 2 yesterday, and the common riffs and melodies that come back into the song after 3 minutes just struck me as something a jam band might do. Am I crazy or is there something there that links these bands more securely than their fans might suggest.