Music Banter - View Single Post - Prog Music v. Jam Music
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by cledussnow View Post
I never mentioned "noodling". I didn't mean to imply that.

Let me put it this way: A band like Phish is WAY more like sitting around a campfire, or being at a party, whereas many of the Prog bands are more like being in a theater or some much more "proper" setting.

I don't know if that is any clearer really, but it's the best I could come up with...
Noodling around the campfire sounds very much like Phish. Now I'm not attacking jam bands there but they do noodle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
if you're created a chart of relationships, how would these 4 genres and metal all connect? I've heard a few people comment here on how Metal is a sort of nexus of Classical and Jazz.
Talking of relationship charts, I'm surprised the psychedelic genre hasn't been mentioned yet, as this is the link between both prog and jam bands in the late 1960s. Folk was another element certainly with the San Francisco scene bands of that era as well. Now I'm seeing on these posts, that jazz is being being attributed as an influence on jam bands, well jazz was just as important on prog as well, The Canterbury Scene was dominated by the Soft Machine and Caravan two bands that had a big jazz influence, also King Crimson went through a jazzy spell as well. Of all the major music genres that were popular in the late 1960s its actually blues that has the least impact on either prog or jam bands (and I'm talking about traditional prog acts there) Most of the acts that were influenced by blues rock were normally hard rock acts and some of these hard rock acts like for example Uriah Heep and Lucifer's Friend basically mixed hard rock with prog rock whilst retaining a very bluesy feel, but your traditional prog bands steered clear of the blues. I think it was Janszoon that mentioned sludge metal and the blues correlation, well the obvious link there are bands like Black Sabbath and the lesser known Bang etc but apart from that, blues and metal are not normally marriage made in heaven.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote