Music Banter - View Single Post - Need help with acoustic guitar?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
The7thFret
Groupie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
Except that pain could also mean your wrists are seizing up and you're causing yourself all sorts of carpal tunnel problems. If you think that learning how to manhandle the strings on a super high action guitar is going to make you somehow more proficient on a properly setup low action guitar, you're setting yourself up for a harsh surprise.

It's one thing to challenge yourself by trying to learn a technically demanding piece right off the bat as your first tune (like Little Wing by Jimi Hendrix). It's a whole other thing to try learning to play on, what is essentially, a broken instrument.

The ONLY time you should be considering a really high action guitar is if you want to be all like Ben Harper and playing slide guitar exclusively. Otherwise you're just developing a bunch of bad habits to compensate for a bad instrument.

Again - the only concerns for a beginner guitar are - it stays in tune and it has a straight neck.
Hmm, agree and disagree with you there. So far as high action and big chunky strings are concerned I would say that is wrong. However, starting on an acoustic with steel strings and a mid-heavy gauge is quite a common thing. I personally would say there are benefits to both this and jumping in with an electric. Starting out on an acoustic with heavy gauge does make it more difficult initially, but it DOES strengthen your fingers up very quickly, IF you're doing the correct things with it. Going over scales and the like. This is what I've seen in people who I know and also people I have taught.

When you're starting to play you aren't doing anything too intricate that requires use of anything beyond the 12th Fret, so you don't really require an electric. In using an acoustic initially you can strengthen your fingers and get the basics down, basics which you can do on either guitar. Generally people who I have taught on acoustic initially transfer well to electric because electrics have easier fretting than acoustic. You're saving money on leads and amps as well in the scenario that you dont continue your interest with the guitar. I wouldn't advise either way, the most important things when buying a guitar are that, number 1, you like how it looks and how it feels!! Should have a straight neck. check all the frets for buzzing. Check the intonation, like someone else mentioned previously, if its off on an acoustic, do no buy it. If its off on an electric and you really like it get the dealer to fix it BEFORE you buy it. check for dents and scratches. Check that the strap bolts are fixed properly. Check the condition on the machine heads. if its an electric check all the pickups work! Thats all I can tihnk of at the moment... :P Hope this helps
The7thFret is offline   Reply With Quote