Music Banter - View Single Post - My guitar dilemma.
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #45 (permalink)
The7thFret
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
So basically, I think my problem is creativity or the lack of know-how which would enable me to be more creative. I'm a fast learner and I've been told by fellow guitar players that I pick up stuff a lot faster than they do, and theyve been playing a lot longer than I have. I have some friends who have been playing twice as long as I have and I can play just about anything they can. My only real problem is when it comes to creating. I have trouble coming up with my own stuff. I'm no Hendrix, i find it to be very hard to be able to create music without having much knowledge when it comes to the technical side of things. I think learning some theory helps to guide you when it comes to creating your own music.

I need some kind of spark to ignite me into writing my own music. Maybe there isn't one, I don't know. Has anyone ever gone through this sort of thing? Does anyone have any tips or thoughts, maybe some books I could pick up? Im just kinda lost. Any help would be appreciated.

The best thing you can do it practice and be influenced. Always have your ears open to new music and even if you dont like a type of music thas on in a club or a bar or something listen to what's going on. you need to always be aware of whats going on. Getting proficient on your instrument enables you to play whatever you want as well, so keep the practising going! I personally think that working songs out by ear will help you with this. If you work songs out by ear you can see what your favourite artists are doing a bit better. you are analysing what is going on as you work it out. If you just go onto tab websites then you don't really think about what is being played quite as much, you're just kinda rhyming it off and not thinking twice about it. Good question you've asked, made me think twice about what i actually do when I'm writing songs. i'm 22 now and 10 years ago when I started writing songs I had the same concerns, but practice does make a big difference. the more you write the more you understand how to write riffs, progressions and melodies which compliment one another quite well!

Hope you find this helpful (y)
The7thFret is offline   Reply With Quote