Music Banter - View Single Post - Prog Music v. Jam Music
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 03:54 AM   #39 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I don't know what you mean by "improvisation is written into the song."
It's funny that you put quotation marks around this because that is not actually a quotation of what I wrote. I wrote "they have room for improvisation written into the song". By that I mean the composition as a whole may be musically defined except for some segments where the idea is specifically to improvise. Of course you don't write down and define what you're going to improvise beforehand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Really anything can be improvised like rhythms or melodies; improvising doesn't mean playing something without knowing what comes next. It might sound off the cuff without any structure at all, but it really means playing what one feels - a variation on a theme that's somewhat established. (There is a difference between controlled chaos and chaos out of control.) Well lets say if we agree a solo is structured within a song than it's an instrumental section of the song. Because it is part of the song (the instrumental section) doesn't mean that a musician can not improvise the lead part or the band is not jamming behind him.
The reason I asked permission to make the sweeping statement is not because I fully believe in the sweeping statement with everything that comes with it. Rather, it was to provoke argument. You don't really have to explain to me that there are such things as occasional improvisation in prog rock bands. Believe it or not, I am actually aware of that. What I actually want to argue/find out is whether or not the level of organization of their music could be a way to distinguish jam bands from prog bands.