Music Banter - View Single Post - The Future of Music
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

I personally think that it's a two edged sword. The art of a standalone album does seem like a dying art but only commercially. I doubt we will ever see multiple artists selling millions of albums like they did in the preceding decades because you can just grab the best/well known track off an album via the net (in whatever form) and move onto the next band.

The reverse side is extremely positive, never before have fans been able to sample and explore the sheer diversity of music because of the net and many bands both past and present are getting exposure they could only dream of even 15 years ago. Maybe that's why the album seems to be dying. The media and maybe close friends were pushing select albums and you barely had no choice other than to buy if you wanted to listen but now fans can turn around and say bollox, I found this band instead and they are 10x better so I am listening to them instead and therefore the listening demographic is much wider spread.

I agree though Spotify is generally good and I barely download anymore and don't have to worry about finding this or that link. For a five spot a month I now have Spotify unlimited and have already found some great music.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote