Music Banter - View Single Post - The Future of Music
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
I personally think that it's a two edged sword. The art of a standalone album does seem like a dying art but only commercially. I doubt we will ever see multiple artists selling millions of albums like they did in the preceding decades because you can just grab the best/well known track off an album via the net (in whatever form) and move onto the next band.

The reverse side is extremely positive, never before have fans been able to sample and explore the sheer diversity of music because of the net and many bands both past and present are getting exposure they could only dream of even 15 years ago. Maybe that's why the album seems to be dying. The media and maybe close friends were pushing select albums and you barely had no choice other than to buy if you wanted to listen but now fans can turn around and say bollox, I found this band instead and they are 10x better so I am listening to them instead and therefore the listening demographic is much wider spread.
True, I guess I shouldn't complain too much...having too much music isn't really bad haha. Still, I just worry that the album being a dying art (even commercially) will diminish the quality of albums in the future. If no one wants to buy them or are interested, why put your heart and soul into an album's worth of material? Great singles make me want more, and most of the time I get more in the form of a complete album. I don't like that if I want more of a band, all I can look forward to is heaps of crap and one great song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam You Have AIDS View Post
I use RYM to rate items, and if it's below a 2.5 I won't bother with it again, but that still leaves me a good couple hundred albums I liked but may never hear again.

To help deal with it temporarily, I randomize the albums in my library every day and listen to whatever it selects, but it's not the most effective solution. I'm not complaining though. It's great feeling like there's simply too much good music.
That actually doesn't sound like a bad idea. It might not be the most effective...but at least some of the stuff I don't play often will get a spin here and there.