Music Banter - View Single Post - Weekly random recommendations from some guy
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2012, 03:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Gucci Little Piggy
Music Addict

Not an album this time, but rather a video game OST that could've been a modern classic amongst indie hiphop just as well.

MadWorld OST

Well yeah, I'm quite a big fan of VGM (video game music), and this is one of the finest OST's I've ever heard. In a video game that is completely black and white (aside from blood, which didn't lose its color and will appear a LOT in this game), the last thing you'd expect is an indie hiphop soundtrack, and yet that's what happened. SEGA found a bunch of talented yet unknown rappers and asked them to spit their rhymes out. Due to the, err, violent nature of this game the lyrics usually are rather sadistic. But what really makes this OST so extremely good is how it can pretty much delight even the biggest hiphop haters by having guitars ripping their way through your ears, using classy trumpets and/or having a dark atmosphere. Despite the fact that the OST has 20 songs, it never bores due to the switching of instruments, styles and rappers. Plus, whiel 20 songs might seem like much, all songs are about 2.5 minutes long, so it doesn't feel dragging. I'd recommend this to everyone who likes anything alternative. Hiphop purists, however... Not sure if this is the right kind of sh*t for the purists, but anybody who is in for something new: Try this out. Now.

I believe you can just buy this on iTunes, but if you're not sure if it's worth your money you can find it on The Pirate Bay if you look around a bit.

Artist list:

Ox
Doujah Raze
Sick YG
Bandy Leggz
Optimus
Wordsmith
S.O.U.L. Purpose

Les examples:

Probably the best track on the OST, extremely classy and catchy, I love this one.

This is some of the dark sh*t I'm talking about.

The chorus is somewhat weak in my opinion, but the verses make more than up for it.
Gucci Little Piggy is offline   Reply With Quote