Music Banter - View Single Post - Great Debate: Are eSports sports?
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #156 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWaterBurn View Post
Umm... thanks for the peek into your "gamers i think are hott" picture collection. I really do believe that gamers are generally a bunch of nerds who wish they were athletes. Maybe if they can get acceptance from others by calling their gaming a 'sport' they will feel better about themselves. I think it's some sort of deep-seeded jealousy that they would never admit. I can't be certain. If it appeared as though I think every single person to ever pick up a controller or computer mouse was a fat virgin with acne, I apologize. I will clarify that I didn't mean every single gamer.

Either way, gaming isn't an athletic activity. As I've said, if you can do it while drinking Mountain Dew from a sofa, then it's not a sport. From the reasons given for supporting gaming as a sport, I'm not sure there is much that wouldn't apply to other field such as something like journalism. It requires physical activity, there's competition, there are celebrities, there are fans who don't write themselves, etc.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.