Music Banter - View Single Post - Death Grips - The Money Store
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Electrophonic Tonic
Your Ad Here

This album felt much more organic than Exmilitary, probably because there are less samples. Actually, comparing the Money Store and Exmilitary reminded me of comparing Paul's Boutique and Check Your Head: except I prefer the more organic sound with the Beasties rather than with Death Grips. I prefer my Death Grips being absolutely batsh*t insane with their sound and Money Store sounds like they're holding themselves back.

That being said, I still really liked this. I think the Fever is now my favorite song by them and the swirling synths really compliment the beat and my favorite crazy homeless man, MC Ride. If there is anything I liked on this more than Exmilitary, it was the beats; especially Get Got, Lost Boys and Blackjack. I agree with the people who said this lost steam as the album went on. Those opening 4 tracks are as good as anything released by them in their short career. Hustle Bones and I've Seen Footage are very good, but don't stand next to the opening 4. And then the rest of the songs are pretty average, IMO.

If we're going by numbers for a rating, I'd say 8/10 because despite how the album finishes, the beginning of Money Store is incredible.
Electrophonic Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote