Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 01:45 AM   #1267 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Although the music speaks for itself of course, it becomes a little difficult to talk about such legends as we feature here without sounding trite. Terms like “legend”, “father of the blues”, “standard” and “classic” all crop up so much that they almost lose their meaning, and the sentiments expressed here --- though meant sincerely --- become in danger of being misunderstood.

So I won't write much about these selections. Better writers and far far better musicians than I have already paid much better tribute to everyone featured here, living or dead, and anything I could add would only seem crass in comparison.

As Duke Ellington once said, “too much talkin' stinks up the room”. So let's open those windows and let some fresh air in...

Most of us have heard “Rainy night in Georgia”, but I for one certainly didn't know it was written by a blues legend, played here by him. This is Tony Joe White, with the original, and best.

Keb' Mo' may be an odd name, but there's no doubting the quality of “Am I wrong?”

A great one from one of the greatest blues players, Peter Green, here with Fleetwood Mac playing “Need your love so bad”.

Of course, most the artistes featured here are legends in their own right, and that's certainly true of John Mayall. This is “The supernatural”.

Someone who knows all about the blues is Buddy Guy. Here he relates their first meeting...

Some good advice from Johnny Winter!

A legend among legends, the incomparable Muddy Waters, with “Rollin' stone”.

The late, great Albert King, with “Born under a bad sign”.

Then there's Elmore James, with “Every day I have the blues”.

And finally, a song I first heard Rory Gallagher play, and loved, this is Sonny Boy Williamson II, with “Don't start me talkin'”.