Music Banter - View Single Post - Bands you can't get into
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCA View Post
You're right, they're not THAT similar. But I've always equated them in my head, which probably has something to do with being unable to distinguish between them before I really got into music.

I suppose it has something to do with Yes being more symphonic and Rush being more operatic. I've always preferred folky artsy prog to King Crimson-ish hard rock prog.

So I guess now I know why I can't get into Rush. Thanks Jansz
The reason they're different is that Yes were basically a psychedelic band that became a prog one, Rush were a hard rock act that then became a prog one, it was clear both bands were better suited to prog than they were to their respective genres. but of course Rush did try to copy Yes to a degree. The hard rock link with Rush made them very appealing to hard rock and metal fans of the 1970s and 1980s whereas Yes didn't appeal to the same crowd.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote