Music Banter - View Single Post - Best of 80s synth pop
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #132 (permalink)
Nerd
Groupie

Ok. I am a huge fan of the area, I had almost a complete Depeche Mode album collection until around 95 when they were stolen from me. Everyone always posts the most popular songs which some of the rare songs are actually better than that of the popular ones. Great time period but this is my list. I will first say the band a then I will say my favorite song of that band, then I will give my favorite album. Anyone who know true 80's Pop Synth the area was between around 77-85. Although there has been some great albums created after. By the way I was made fun of all through school because I liked Depeche Mode and Erasure. Starting with ten working my way up to #1

10:The Smiths (Girlfriend in a Coma) A different style but still a great Synth band that came out in the right era. Don't let number 10 fool you. These guys are awesome in their own right. (Favorite Album: The Smiths)

9epech Mode (Shake the disease, Here is the House) Even though I am putting them at #9 these guys are probably the most popular and probably have the most music out there of any on this list. These guys are probably known best as the #1 80's Synth Pop band and probably are. Simply the best. (Favorite Album(s):Black Celebration; Music for the Masses; Violator)

8:Erasure: (Witch in the ditch, Hallowed Ground) Yes they are flaming, but great vocals with great beats. You don't have to agree with their life style to enjoy their music. Greatest mistake is their album "Other Peoples Songs" almost ending their carrier as a prop band. (Favorite Album(s) By far Innocents and Wild)

7:The Fix: (Red Skies at Night & Stand or Fall) Listen to those songs - Memorizing what more do i have to say, Great vocals. Get's you in the mood. (Favorite Album: The Best Of)

6ead or Alive: (In Too Deep & Something in my House) Also Flaming but who cares. Memorizing Vocals and great 80's Synth. I would put him up against any on this list. He has a lot of amazing songs and still to this day go’s way un-noticed. These are the 80's That I love. (Favorite Album - Evolution: The Hits)

5:Camoflauge: (Love is a Shield & The Great Commandment) Sounds an awful lot like Depeche Mode. If Depeche Mode didn't take off like they did, I am sure Camouflage would have and taken their spot. These guys are great and I would say in most cases better than Depeche Mode. Especially Live, From what I hear anyway. (Favorite Album - Voices and Images and The Best of)

4:Talk Talk (Life is what you make it & Talk Talk & It's My Life + many more) This guy has one of the best 80's voices around. Not only that but his beats are way original. This group also gets over looked a lot and is becoming a rarity to hear anymore. A Simply Awesome Band. (Favorite Album - The Best of)

3: OMD (Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark) Songs: (Was it something I said & La Femme Accident (12' version) & So many others) Every Album they created had multiple + songs I absolutely love. These guys don't get the credit they deserve. You can never go wrong listening to their stuff even the older/Newer stuff. People hear their music all the time and the younger generation thinks some of their songs are new and that they are a new band. Great beats and vocals. (Favorite Album - The Best of) #3 and #2 are tied for second by the way. They could easily be switched back and forth...

#2: New Order: (The Picture you see & Love Vigilantes & The Perfect Kiss + many more)This band is the Emphasis of 80's Synth Pop. If I didn't know better I would say these guys are the people who came up with this style of Music. This band is also going away to obscurity especially because of the techno age and now Dub step music which has taken over the Synth bands. Whenever I hear any of their songs takes me back to only good memories. Love you and you will always have your place in my heart. (Favorite Album: All of them)

#1: Yaz or Yazoo: (Winter Kills & Nobody's Diary & Tuesday). The reason why is every single one of their songs I love, even the bad ones. Her voice hypnotizes me. Very Original and is the essence of this time period. When Alison went on her own - it just wasn’t the same for some reason. The Yaz records speak to me from within. There was a special spirit with that group that has now dissipated. This music with her voice is absolutely unmatched.

All these are my opinion of course.
Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote