Music Banter - View Single Post - What Are You listening To V.III Metal!
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #630 (permalink)
hip hop bunny hop
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BastardofYoung View Post
You know, I have to respect Death and their obvious contributions to the Death Metal genre (or sub-genre, whatever.). Those albums show some great talent, great musicianship and solid songwriting.... but yet, i still find myself getting bored with them. For what they are, I cannot argue the talent they contain... just something about it winds up boring me.

I still love the first 3 albums a lot though. "Scream Bloody Gore", "Leprosy" and "Spiritual Healing" are decent enough to hold my interest.

"The Sound of Perseverance" is the one though that I do not understand the love in at all. Though I love "Voice of the Soul", which is telling when the most memorable track is an instrumental.
I think there are some elements that are very difficult to successfully mesh with Death Metal. It's a style that is great for conveying a wonderful sensation of speed; but it's not a style that's goes great with emoting. It's not like I don't like music that emotes, but I can't think of an example of which successfully marries Death Metal with emoting beyond that established in the genres infancy. I don't think it'd be unfair to say Chuck tried very, very hard to circle this square, but I don't think he pulled it off.