Music Banter - View Single Post - Bands you can't get into
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Dream Theater. My best mate bangs on about them and some of his descriptions are spot on and I should like some of it considering my tastes but I just can't get into them at all, the same for him regarding The Mars Volta though. I like them, he hates them!
Dream Theater mostly appeal to people who were AOR and pomp rock fans of the 1970s and 1980s. They then added metal to the mix and hit the jackpot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophonic Tonic View Post
I've always tried to follow my own motto, "To like the prog: you must learn to deal with the prog". Basically, I know it takes time to really enjoy a prog band. Case in point: HATED King Crimson the first time I heard them. A few accidental listenings later and finally having the stones to listen to all of 'In the Court', they were my favorite band within a year.

When it comes to Rush and ELP, I've given them plenty of time to grow on me, and I can't enjoy them beyond their bigger songs. With ELP, I think it's because there are so many times good ELP songs turn into Keith Emerson piano recitals and that really ruins it for me. I'm sure part of that has to do with me absolutely despising Karn Evil 9...

With Rush, it's the lyrics. Usually for me, the lyrics are secondary to the music. But so often I hear Rush's lyrics and they sound so awkward it really kills the feel of the whole song. Such as Red Barchetta, Limelight and the abomination that it the Trees.
ELP were probably the most pretentious of all prog bands, they knew how good they were as musicians and made no secret about how good they were either. They're not a group I love but they do have some great albums and the tracks "Tarkus" and "Karn Evil 9" are two of their best.

Rush's lyrics can be pretty bad at times I agree,
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote