Music Banter - View Single Post - It had to happen... Prog Wars!
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #32 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCA View Post
Pile another vote on Close to the Edge. I've never understood the insane hype for Animals-- yeah it's a good album but it pales in comparison to Pink Floyd's more well-known stuff and even, I'd argue, Meddle. I don't find it very memorable, but CttE is just insanely fun to listen to. You've got a group of some very groove-oriented, very technically-skilled musicians all jamming together on three epic tracks-- every time I listen to the album I focus on a different musician and discover something new and titillating.

In Animals' defense, Waters' lyrics are much more engaging than Anderson's abstract(nonsensical) narratives.
My guess is that in Animals, Pink Floyd created an album that was angry but with sharp wit and good observations that was not a radio favorite - you know how people like to choose the albums without the over-played songs (no matter how good those are). Also, taking a historical look, it was a very surprising album for the time that was really good. The challenge to be bolder and more relevant was there, the Floyd took it, and succeeded with that album in my opinion. Although Punk shove Prog and Metal out of the picture, it was Animals that surprised a lot of people enough for some to give the Post-Syd Pink Floyd a second look.

Also, the bite of Waters' lyrics (no pun intended) is pretty sharp and perfect with the music.

I'm still more of a Syd era listener, and after that time I can say Meddle is still a favorite of mine (Still possibly my favorite Pink Floyd album, due mainly to "Echoes" and for sounding more of a group effort) but I think that Animals was a major rebound from Wish You Were Here. Possibly the last real solid Pink Floyd album (I like The Wall and The Final Cut, but...)

Last edited by Screen13; 05-23-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote