Music Banter - View Single Post - Represent your country with one artist/band.
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 04:25 AM   #17 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Although they're certainly not my favourite band, nor am I particularly into their genre of music, I think someone like the Chieftains or maybe Christy Moore best typify Irish music.

Certainly, trad (traditional) as its name implies, looks back to and encompasses the heritage and shared history of the Irish people. We are a people who love looking back (though we like to say we are forward looking and thinking --- at least, our so-called government do! --- we're always saying "Wasn't like this in my day" and "I remember when...") and we're very very strongly linked to our past. A lot of that comes from the fact that conflict, particularly with the (damn) English, colours much of our history. But we didn't need the English to fight: we did that well enough on our own. North against south, king against king, province against province: the legacy of Ireland is steeped in blood and war, jealousy and revenge, and that old chestnut that just will not go away, religious sectarianism.

Now, I don't know much of the Chieftains, the Wolfe Tones or Christy Moore's music personally, but in general it's simple, traditional, usually either obliviously happy drinking songs, rebel songs or tales of long ago. It's music you can dance to, music you can have fun to, and to be honest, doesn't bear too much in the way of critical examination. Trad is not about to break any new ground or introduce any amazing new themes or sounds or innovations. Hey, it's trad, y'know?

But anyone coming to Ireland and heading to an Irish bar will hear trad music, or want to hear it, before the likes of U2 or even Rory. Yes, we have had our share of fantastic musicians over the decades, but trad is the one music form that is, I believe, eternally, undeniably and totally representative of my country.

Be the hokey!

Go on: tell me your fingers and feet aren't tapping to this...