Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 05:03 AM   #1279 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Yeah, it's that time of the month again, when mods go screaming, running for shelter and those who have sworn off the bottle nervously eye the fridge as another glut of YouTubes heads their way! Time once again to honour and namecheck those who have gone before us into the Great Unknown; those who were associated with the music industry, whether as performers, composers, producers, entertainers or even those who operated in a more behind-the-scenes capacity. Concentrating on the more well known, and loved, these are the people who passed in May down the years. We wish them all eternal rest and hope they received their reward, having left so much joy and beauty to mark their time on this earth.

The plaudits, as ever, go to BITTER SUITE BAND: official website! for their Herculean work in compiling a list which would otherwise have taken much longer, and a lot more effort.

Please note: if someone you know/like is missing from this list, don't take offence, because as I've already explained it's next to impossible to feature every music performer or person connected with the music biz who died in a particular month, and I usually choose the names I see as the most famous, influential or deserving of being here. The people who I know, know of, and whose contribution to music I recognise. This does not mean that anyone left out is not rated by me, but I have to draw the line somewhere.

Also, for the first time since I began doing this I seem to have overrun the character count, so I'm now going to have to split this up into two sections. Section 1 will cover the first two weeks of the month, with the last two following.

Aram Khachaturian (1903-1978)
Armenian composer who is best remembered for his stately adagio from the opera “Spartacus”, which was used as the theme music for the BBC drama series “The Onedin Line”, and has forever become identified with that programme. Khachaturian also composed the well-known “Sabre dance” from another of his operas, “Gayane”, and again the adagio from this was later used in the seminal science-fiction movie, “2001: A space odyssey”. Denounced by the Communist Party in 1948 with Shostakovich and Prokofiev as composing music that was seen as “anti-popular” and “formalist”, he was forced, with his fellow composers, to publicy apologise, though his heart was not in the apology. He died, May 1 1978, a few days short of his seventy-fifth birthday.

Big Hawk (1969-2006)
One of the founding members of DJ Screw's Screwed Up Click (SUC), Big Hawk was born John Edward Hawkins and helped form the group DEA as well as the independent rapper label Dead End Records. He played with people like Lil' Keke, Lil' Flip, Fat Pat (his brother) and Mike D. He died of gunshot wounds, May 1 2006.

Adam Yauch (1964-2012)
American rapper and famed member of the Beastie Boys, Adam was known as MCA within the group. He also played bass and directed many of their music videos, being a talented film director. A Buddhist, he was involved in the struggle for Tibetan independence, and was a firm supporter of other human rights movements. He died of cancer, less than three weeks ago, May 4.

Marlene Dietrich (1901- 1992)
With Dame Vera Lynne, one of the most instantly recognisable of the World War II entertainers, Marlene was born in Germany but became a US citizen in 1939, just as the war broke out. She starred in many Hollywood films, and toured the front lines entertaining the troops. She was a cabaret singer, an actor, a dancer and a chorus girl. She died in her sleep of natural causes, aged ninety-one, May 6 1992.

Eddie Rabbit (1941-1998)
One of the original country crossover artists, Eddie's songs can be heard on the Clint Eastwood movie “Every which way but loose”, for which he composed the title track, and the soap opera “Days of our lives”. He duetted with Crystal Gayle and Juice Newton, and had over twenty number one country hits, including one that crossed right over and hopped into the number one spot on the Billboard charts, “I love a rainy night”. Eddie died of lung cancer, May 7 1998.

John Walker (1943-2011)
Born John Joseph Maus, he found fame as part of the Walker Brothers, who had huge hits with “The sun ain't gonna shine anymore”, “No regrets” and “Make it easy on yourself”. John died of liver cancer May 7 last year.

Graham Bond (1937-1974)
One of the hugely influential figures in British blues music, Graham was responsible for launching the careers of two men who could go on to become Cream alumni, and massive stars in their own right, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker, when he recruited both to become part of his band, the Graham Bond Organisation. Bond's death is a matter for speculation: he died after falling under a train, but was it suicide, an accident, or possibly murder? We will probably never know, but the event that brought to a tragic and untimely end the illustrious career of this talented keyboard player occurred May 8, 1974.

Neil Bogart (1943-1982)
Born Neil E. Bogatz, he was credited with the rise of bubblegum pop in the seventies. A record producer, he had albums dedicated to him from both Kiss and Donna Summer. He died of cancer May 8 1982.

Bob Marley (1945-1981)
Without question the most famous and loved reggae star, even those who aren't fans of his music know his songs, these having been covered by, most famously, Eric Clapton who scored a hit and classic with “I shot the sheriff.” But songs like “No woman no cry”, “Jamming'” and “Three little birds” are forever etched into the musical consciousness of humanity, and there are few people who would not know that Bob Marley and the Wailers were the biggest and most successful reggae artistes ever, bringing reggae music and the identity of their native Jamaica, along with the idea of rastafarianism, to a worldwide audience. Bob died of brain and lung cancer, May 11 1981.

Perry Como (1912-2001)
Born Pierino Ronaldo “Perry” Como, he was the first and most successful person to have a combined singing and television career, his TV show setting the standard for shows which would follow, where a popular singer would sing, chat with guests, and often engage in the odd whimsical sketch. In the end, he had so many gold records that he refused to allow further ones to be certified, even when they had reached or indeed exceeded the requisite sales numbers. He had huge hits with songs like “For the good times”, “Catch a falling star”, “Magic moments” and “And I love you so”. He received the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 2002, a year after his death and five years after that was inducted into the Hit Parade Hall of Fame. Perry died in his sleep, May 12 2001.

Donald “Duck” Dunn (1941-2012)
A legend who only died this year, Donald found fame playing bass with Booker T. and the MGs, and played with everyone from Muddy Waters to Eric Clapton, Stevie Nicks to Rod Stewart, and even played with the legendary Blues Brothers, playing himself in the cult movie. His distinctive basslines featured in classics like Otis Redding's “Respect” and Albert King's “Born under a bad sign”. Donald died in his sleep, having completed a gig in Tokyo last week, May 13.

Frank Sinatra (1915-1998)
The Chairman. Old Blue Eyes. Leader of the Rat Pack. Who doesn't know Frankie? No matter who you are, where you live, or what age you are, you've heard and enjoyed his music, even if it was only at the end of a disco, when “New York, New York” was played and danced to drunkenly, with everyone getting the words wrong. A supremely talented singer, actor and promoter, Sinatra won eleven Grammys, including three very special awards: The Grammy Trustees, Life Achievement and Legend awards. He starred in over twenty movies, winning awards for some, and had recorded almost sixty albums at the time of his death. He was also linked (though never proven) to the Mafia and organised crime. His many, many hits include songs such as “Come fly with me”, “You make me feel so young”, “Strangers in the night”, the seminal and often-covered “My way”, as well as of course “New York, New York” and literally dozens more. Sinatra suffered from violent depression during his life, and died of a heart attack, May 14 1998 which was the end result of his suffering from kidney and heart disease, as well as bladder cancer and dementia.