Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Underrated/Overrated Artists
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2012, 03:39 AM   #1117 (permalink)
Dvorak
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWGUY562 View Post
I agree with you on the zombies colin's voice is breahty and beautiful definitely the best voice of the 60's

Now as far as the kinks go they are very underrated...and you must not of heard face to face,something else,village green preservation society,arthur,lola versus the powerman :/

The Doors are over-rated though i love them.
The Kinks were a good band. However it is now seemingly very fashionable to look back in retrospect and suggest they were the "forgotten" band of the 60's and that they were on par with The Beatles, Stones and The Who.

I believe that the general assessment of the band in the 60's/70's was spot on - A good band with a talented songwriter, but clearly a class below the big 3. Perhaps the band suffered from the fact that it had no real counterweight to Ray?

I am not a great fan of Face to Face or Arthur. In fact Arthur (with the exception of Victoria) is rubbish in my view. Of all the Kinks albums I have heard, Village Green is the best overall and just about keeps itself together. However, the first half is far superior to the second. Lola is solid enough, but outside the title track is nothing special.

*trots into hiding*

Dvorak is offline   Reply With Quote