Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Underrated/Overrated Artists
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2012, 03:56 AM   #1118 (permalink)
NEWGUY562
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvorak View Post
The Kinks were a good band. However it is now seemingly very fashionable to look back in retrospect and suggest they were the "forgotten" band of the 60's and that they were on par with The Beatles, Stones and The Who.

I believe that the general assessment of the band in the 60's/70's was spot on - A good band with a talented songwriter, but clearly a class below the big 3. Perhaps the band suffered from the fact that it had no real counterweight to Ray?

I am not a great fan of Face to Face or Arthur. In fact Arthur (with the exception of Victoria) is rubbish in my view. Of all the Kinks albums I have heard, Village Green is the best overall and just about keeps itself together. However, the first half is far superior to the second. Lola is solid enough, but outside the title track is nothing special.

*trots into hiding*

they aren't on the same level as the beatles imo nobody is and nobody will be but the kinks are very slept on they are'nt mentioned with the greats of the 60's (beatles,stones,who,beach boys,pink floyd)...at first i only liked them because of you really got me..but as i listened to their music more and more i grew fond of their sophisticated british sound ..
NEWGUY562 is offline   Reply With Quote