Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #19143 (permalink)
Blarobbarg
Do good.

Had a buddy of mine and a cousin come over and jam with my brother and I. The instrument lineup was...

Me on drums.
Bro on bass and keyboard.
Cousin on guitar and saxophone.
Buddy on guitar.

My brother and cousin play together regularly, which shows. They have a definite groove and can work with each other easily, plus they're both incredible musicians. I haven't played drums with other people since the band I was in dissolved back in January. My buddy doesn't play with other people, and honestly doesn't even play very well.

We started by playing some Black Sabbath covers, which sounded okay. Then we played some random punk-type songs and a bit of Metallica, which were worse. Then we tried a few other metalish songs, which sucked beyond what the English language can describe. My cousin switched to sax and we tried a 50's style pop song made up on the spot, and then we played the same song reggae. That went well. And then my brother started playing the bass line to Pink Flyod's "Money" and we all jumped in. And FINALLY we started sounding really good. We improvised the whole thing and essentially turned it into a 15 to 20 minute free jazz thing... which was awesome.

Once we started playing jazz, we found our niche and really did good. I don't have high hopes that this is a lasting thing, since my buddy and I are in college and the other two are in high school. But still, I hope we can play around more, because I was really missing playing in a group, and my drumming is sloppy and in need of practice with others.

And I have to say, I enjoyed playing free jazz more than what I was playing in my last band, which was a mix of folk and indie pop rock. This is more like what I actually listen to.

And it will be a miracle if anyone reads this mess.

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆ ^my RYM^  。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

(◠‿◠✿)
Blarobbarg is offline   Reply With Quote