Music Banter - View Single Post - Rolling Stones 2012 Revised 500 Greatest Albums of All Time List :)
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Chives
Music Addict

I just picked up the magazine yesterday. Take my money, Rolling Stone, but damn you for capitalizing on my weakness to arbitrary rankings of music albums!

I was disappointed to see the White Album still so damn high up. I just don't think it's THAT great when compared to a lot of the albums that rank lower than it. Also, that concentration of Beatles in the top 10 is just crazy. At least Let It Be is out of the top 100. That always bugged me in the old list.

Kind of disappointed to see Robert Johnson's Complete Recordings take the place of both of the King of the Delta Blues albums. I understand why they did it, but the original King of the Delta Blues always seemed to be truly 'great' because it was how so many of the people first heard his music. Obviously that's not how they are ranking it, but at least with the old list I could pretend they were.

The only other addition that was really a triumph for me was seeing Sleater-Kinney's Dig Me Out appear somewhere in the 270s. I'm just a fan so that was cool to me, I suppose.

It's still Rolling Stone and I can't get over the feeling that they are trying to sell me that the Beatles, Bob Dylan and every major artist of the 60s and 70s were perfect beings, but I still found it to be very entertaining to look through. Even if the order is questionable, nearly all the albums on the list are great in some capacity, right?