Music Banter - View Single Post - Faith No More appreciation thread
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #110 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElephantSack View Post
I don't know. In my opinion, a band that exhibits traces of Metal in certain songs, shouldn't be considered a Metal band. To me, that's pigeonholing. It's that when I think of Metal, and I think of Faith No More, it just doesn't click. I will admit that certain songs, like "Caffeine" and "Malpractice" are certainly heavy as hell, but even if you were to look at another Patton band like Mr. Bungle, who exhibited a lot more Metal influence in their work, would you call them a Metal band? To me Faith No More, overall, is a Rock band, and a damn good one, too.
I think something you're overlooking here is how metal has evolved. These days I would consider it a genre unto itself, one which has come to be defined more and more by extreme metal over the years, but back in the 80s and early 90s it was a sub-genre of rock. So, sure, FNM were a rock band, because metal was a type of rock back when they were active.

I'm kind of confused as to why you'd say Bungle had more of metal side than FNM I have to say. It was really only their first album that had much metal going on at all.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote