Music Banter - View Single Post - Great Debate: Are eSports sports?
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #200 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salami View Post
I'm personally very strongly against the idea that eSports are sports.
I haven't read through the thread, but I have no doubt that some people have made the point that there's no kind of physical activity involved in eSports, yet I really think that this defines the issue for me. The benefits of taking part in sports are clear, development of physiology, increasing stamina and generally making you a healthier person.

I'm one of those people who does many sports but is only ever about average at them - I've been selected to represent Manchester in the national cross country county championships (ask me if you're interested!), but yet finished third last in the finals. I managed to get on my local first team seven's rugby, but only because there were only two people competing for each space on the team.

But, at the end of the day, after the training, I've oxygenated my blood, I've increased my stamina and cleared my arteries from the fat from my diet. I'm in a good mood.

Sadly after a hard day of playing Anime, GuitarBizzare will be no healthier, no fitter and probably have got far less from it.

I know it's a matter of preference, but I'd far rather have my precious medals from races I've run in than anything electronic that very few people can relate to and no health benefits.

For these reasons, I cannot possibly consider eSports in any way "sports".

I'm not saying I have anything against them, I just don't want them to be grouped with the entirely different term "sport" in general.
No, those are the benefits of exercise. Sports is defined, even in the etymological roots, specifically as competition. Please, read through the thread. We went into this in some great detail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!