Music Banter - View Single Post - Faith No More appreciation thread
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #113 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElephantSack View Post
Well, back when Faith No More were hitting their stride, I would say that Metal was more perceived as the kind of music dominated by bands like Guns and Roses at the time. And I'm all for the evolution of music; it's one of my favorite ideas.
Yeah, Bungle's first studio album had the most "metallic" breakdowns and segues, but their earlier work before their Warner Brothers debut was 90% straight-up Death Metal.
No, it really wasn't. Bowel of Chiley and Goddammit I Love America! were very much in the vein of their Warner Bros. debut, though slightly less heavy, and in fact contain early versions of most of the tracks on the s/t. If anything there's more ska, funk and jazz influence on those albums than there is metal, and nary a death metal track to be found between them. I've never heard OU818, but of the pre-record deal releases I have, The Raging Wrath of the Easter Bunny is their heaviest, though even that isn't anything I'd describe as death metal.

Here are the full albums of Bowel of Chiley and Goddammit I Love America! on YouTube if you're interested in giving them a listen. PM me if you want a DL.

Quote:
And there are definitely heavy-as-**** segments on Disco Volante and California, albeit much more sparse.
Heh, yeah, about one or two of those segments per album.

Quote:
I still wouldn't call FNM a metal band, and I would hate to force them into a sub-genre like Funk Metal or something like that. I think they were more open-ended that all that. Hence, Rock band. Seeing as how Rock and Roll has all the incorporated genres open to a band classified as such.
Well, like I said before, during FNM's heyday metal was a kind of rock so, sure, they're rock in the same sense that all metal of that era was rock. The great thing about them though, as you've pointed out, is that they went so far beyond their foundation.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote