Music Banter - View Single Post - Sex Pistols vs. Ramones
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2005, 02:29 PM   #45 (permalink)
ThePinkNightmare
Music Addict

yeah, sex pistols cared more about image. but thats cos one of the biggest things about punk in the 1970's was their image! the whole ripped clothing/safety pins/tartan and leather thing was what made punks, punks. it showed a rebellious 'we dont give a **** what you think' attitude which is what punk was all about. it played a major part in the punk movement cos it was easily emulated by punk fans. so the fact that sex pistols were obsessed with image actually makes them extremely 'punk'.

malcolm mclaren was NOT a rich man, he got rich off the sex pistols. he saw how much money could be made from the punk movement when he was in america and signed the sex pistols, THATS what made him rich, then they found out and kicked his ass to the curb! and who cares if sid couldnt play? they only signed him for his image cos it was THE epitome of punk and thats what was important.

before anyone tries to argue...i studied punk's rise to 'power' for three months as part of my media course and i got the highest mark in the centre for my knowledge so im sorry but im most probably right (sorry just a bit of bragging there!!!)

anyway, in my opinion i prefer sex pistols, although i do quite like the ramones

- James Dean