Music Banter - View Single Post - Coldplay
Thread: Coldplay
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 03:03 AM   #733 (permalink)
NEWGUY562
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
I don't listen much to Coldplay, but I did get their debut album when it came out which had hits like Trouble and Yellow. It was a good album. Not the sort of music which excites me the most, but the songs were good.

I think Coldplay are hated because any band that becomes awesomely popular will come under immense scrutiny and will become unhip. Little faults that people happily accept in lesser known groups and artists are seen as huge problems for bands like Coldplay. So many people tailor their music tastes to become part of their image and liking Coldplay, a band liked by so many people who are not musically explorative, is regarded as really uncool by many. I think hating on bands for such reasons is quite fake and pretentious.

edit :

I think their popularity is largely due to having very effective songs. Most of them are catchy, singable and often easy to play along to on a guitar. I also think beautiful melancholy was part of the recipe for the success of their debut at least. Not sure if they're melancholic still.
but why unhip? why uncool?
NEWGUY562 is offline   Reply With Quote