Music Banter - View Single Post - Is this really rock?
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 08:31 AM   #21 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

But does it not also have to do with the style the band play, or are acknowledged to espouse? Would you consider "Wild boys" a rock song? I personally would not, even though there are guitars and rock elements in it, it's a departure from the music Duran Duran usually played, and they were known as a pop, not a rock, group. Obviously, there's an inherent flaw in trying to label everything/one, but if you use that logic with "Beat it", then no, it's not a rock song, as Jackson was never (imo) a rock artiste. Was he the "king of rock" or the "king of pop"? I honestly don't think one song used with rock influences by a pop artiste can be called a rock song.

If anything, "Dirty Diana" is closer to rock (YAY Steve Stevens!) but even then, I think the general perception Jackson played pop makes it a pop song. If someone like maybe Metallica covered it, maybe then it would be a rock song, but I know a lot of pop bands who have SOME very heavy rock style material, but I would not personally consider those songs rock.

Ah, labels.
But I'm firmly in the camp that says no, "Beat it" is NOT a rock song --- despite the presence of EVH on it.

(Can I have change for my tuppence worth?)