Music Banter - View Single Post - Coldplay
Thread: Coldplay
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #744 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWGUY562 View Post
that's true but what are some bands that are deemed uncool that you actually like?
Well, according to the social pressures acting on me as I grew up, I felt most of the bands and artists I liked were uncool.

When I was 16, I liked U2 and Pink Floyd. My GF who was 18 thought it was pretty uncool to like both of those. I also liked Supergrass and Kate Bush, but my friends who liked hardcore and black metal thought it pretty embarassing. I also liked some of Paul McCartney's solo career .. that's pretty much social suicide for a young boy right there!

Today I like a lot of the old prog rock bands like Yes, ELP and Camel. As far as I know, none of them have been "cool" since the earlier half of the 70s. It's perhaps a more accepted kind of uncoolness as this time as it's the radio-pop consumer who think they are most uncool and not the musically explorative. The worst kind of uncoolness is of course bands that are loved by the average pop-consumer, but loathed by the music snobs of the sort you might find here. A good example is Nickelback who I admittedly think is ****. My biggest crime coolness-wise could be my lack of hatred for U2 as I still enjoy their old stuff like War and Joshua Tree and haven't learned to hate neither Bono or their latest albums (which I don't know) yet.