Music Banter - View Single Post - My guitar dilemma.
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #48 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad View Post
I prefer a more integrated, organic approach. I write lyrics along with melody, and do so without picking up an instrument. Once I have the whole thing written, a capella as it were, I pick up a guitar and figure out the chord progression, and, if necessary, melody notes. By writing this way you don't have to know much theory, if it works as a song first, with no instruments, it'll be fine once you add them. You do have to know your instrument well enough to figure out chords for the a capella song, however. An upside of writing with voice only however, is that one tends to write only what one can sing, rather than something that can be outside the range of your singing voice.
This reminds me of something Steve Vai said in an interview years ago - if you can hum it you can play it. Theory might help you understand technical aspects behind a particular composition or to communicate it more clearly to other musicians; but when it comes to playing it, you just gotta be able to feel it and go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote